Français : Solitude de Paul Sérusier, 1891, huile sur toile, 75 x 60 cm, Musée des Beaux-Arts de Rennes, France. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
I’ve always lived with someone. I have never had the chance to actually have a place all to myself. So when I get the house to myself, its actually a really great time for me. I love it. I love being alone. I love the solitude. I love being quiet. I like that fact that there is no one around me. That isn’t to say I always want to be alone, its just that when I get these moments, I cherish them.
For me, there are aways a couple of things that makes this time great and that is the reason for tonight’s post. These are just three of the best but there could have easily been more.
1. No Schedules
2. Going Nude (that’s right walking around naked)
3. Singing and Dancing (like there is no one around – because there isn’t!)
No schedules. This is simply a dream come true when you are by yourself. You don’t need to have dinner at a certain time, there is not set time that you need to get up, no set time to do anything. That is why this is at the top of my list. I love being able to let go of the structure of life for those precious days by myself and just adopt a freer, less contrictive lifestyle.
I know that it might be cliché about going nude but really that is a time to be one with your birthday suit. Its not to say you can’t walk around nude with your partner or whoever else you feel comfortable with but it just seems better when you are alone. To walk around and not try to hide all the flaws you think you have (which you might do with someone else). Just getting naked. Its liberating.
My last item on the list was singing and dancing. This is one that I truly get behind. I’m lucky because I don’t have close neighbors, so I can blast my music and I do. Its so loud and I just sing to the songs on my playlist and dance around my house. Its fun, great exercise and a grea way to cut out the stress. One of the best songs for this is Part of Me by Katy Perry. Another good song for this is Sugar, Sugar by The Archies and of course anything by Lady Gaga.
This post is definitely not the norm for me, meaning there will be no best three today…that’s because I’ve been nominated for The Very Inspiring Blogger Award by a great blogger The Do-Gooder Mama – which is a great blog. Check it out http://thedogoodermama.com/
This is a great honor! It truly is and I’m thankful that someone thought to include me and my blog for this award. So thank you The Do-Gooder Mama
The rules for accepting The Very Inspiring Blogger Award are as follows:
- Display the Award Certificate on your website. – Completed!
- Announce your win with a post and link to whoever presented you with the award. – Completed (check out post title & link above to The Do-Gooder Mama Blog)
- Present 15 awards to deserving bloggers. – Completed
- Drop them a comment to tip them off after you have linked them in the post. – Completed
- Post 7 interesting things about yourself. – Completed
The 7 interesting things about myself are: Obsessed with The Vampire Diaries; Can only sleep on my back (not comfortable any other way); the movie Up makes me cry everytime I see it; I love star fish; my favorite color is black (I know its not actually a color); have 2 siblings; and i]I’m an introvert.
The bloggers that I’m nominating for this award are truly some of the greatest blogs (and bloggers) out there. They are dedicated to this blogging and always keep me entertained with their posts. Congrats to them and keep up the hard work. Also, this is in random order – all are equal in my eyes – no one is better than the other – I just enjoy them all.
1. This, That and the Other Thang http://thisthatandtheotherthang.wordpress.com/
2. Inspiring Challenges http://inspiringchallenges.wordpress.com/
3. Saywhattoday http://saywhattoday.wordpress.com/
4 . Written in my Soul http://writteninmysoul.wordpress.com/
5. Good Time Stories http://goodtimestories.wordpress.com/
6. White Elephant in the Room http://bethtourek.com/
7. The Official How-To Blog http://theofficialhowtoblog.wordpress.com/
8. Be Free http://livingwithanxietytoday.wordpress.com/
9. From Sin to Thin http://fromsintothin.com/
10. Girls’ Globe http://girlsglobe.org/2013/05/14/violence-against-women-is-not-a-joke/
11. Gnawing the Bone http://gnawingthebone.wordpress.com/
12. Michele McConomy: The Innovation Lade http://theinnovationlady.com/
13. mymotherlied2me http://mymotherlied2me.wordpress.com/
14. The Better Man Project http://thebettermanprojects.com/
15. Life is but a Dream http://livemylifebeautiful.wordpress.com/
I was in the grocery store the other day and there was a woman and her daughter in line. I’m not one to listen in to other peoples conversations but these two were being loud and it was one of those times when you can’t help but overhear. The daughter had to be no more than 16 years old. She was well-dressed for a 16 year old with all the high end labels, even with a Michael Kors handbag – which we all know are pretty expense (even when discounted) and texting on her iPhone 5. The extent of the conversation wasn’t that important – usual teenage and parent stuff but it was when her mother made a comment about a front page story on a newspaper that was by the check-out and the response given by her daughter that made me want to write this post.
The newspaper story was about a young family that was barely surviving and this journalist asked the mother of this family about some of the hardest times. The mother goes on to explain that it’s the times when she can’t afford any food for her child and she is forced to let her child go hungry.
Coming back to the mother and daughter in line at the grocery store, the mother commented that this was sad and the daughter, in all her 16 year old-I-Have-everything ignorance said, “Who cares about these people anyways, they have nothing to do with me. It sucks to be them but honestly Mom, nobody cares”.
My first reaction was to hit this girl across the head (which took a lot of strength from me not too) but I also wanted to hit the Mom who didn’t say anything to her daughter. Nothing.
So this is the main reason for my post. What has happen to us as a society? We have everything. Everything at our grasp and we have this type of attitude toward people suffering. I know this is not indicative of everyone’s feelings out in the world but poverty is still around. We still have people that have everything and those that don’t.
1. Appreciate what you have and never forget it (a lot of us don’t know what it feels like to be starving, to lose our dignity…)
2. Donate (whether it be your time or your money)
3. Pressure governments, organizations, and the 1% to help people who are struggling
The role that a mother can play in her child’s life is tremendous and in honor of it almost being Mother’s Day (May 12), I wanted to devote a post to the most important women in our lives – our mothers.
For those of us that have had a positive influence from our mothers – even in a small way – it has effected us and shaped who we are (even though we may not acknowledge or realize it). That is why today (even though I’m far away from my own mother) I wanted to share the best three ways to thank your mother and on all other 364 days of the year.
1. Go and see her – spend time with her…and let her know you love and cherish her
2. Talk to her (if you are not in the same place) – don’t let your life take over and forget to call – make the time (that is my own personal lesson)
3. Surprise her with random things (not just gifts) but a walk, going to the movies, going shoe shopping together, visiting a museum etc. – this just let’s her know that you are thinking about her and that you care and enjoy her company!
To all the mother’s out there – Happy Mother’s Day
If you are like me and have to deal with the different seasons Mother Nature dishes out, when it gets close to summer, there is excitment in the air.
No matter where you are in the world, the fact that summer has a power over people. A way to make us feel better. I don’t know whether it’s the weather (and all the warm days and nights), the longer days (that is always a bonus) or could it be the fact that we are able to get away from our day to day lives and take vacations or just extra long weekends. There is just something about summer and that is why I wanted to pay it tribute for this post. It was hard to pcik three best things in this case because there are so many things that help make summer great. I did my best with the ones that I chose.
2. Just Being Outdoors
Yes, BBQ is my number one choice as the best thing of summer. For me, I don’t think even turn on my oven all summer. All that meal planning that needs to take place during the year – out the door when summetime arrives. I always know what I’m having for dinner – BBQ! It’s great, easy and tastes so amazing. Aaaahhhh my mouth is watering as I write this.
My second choice is the ability to just be outdoors. The warm weather allows you to do so much things outside and that is what summer is meant for. Road trips, camping, lounging on the beach, going for a swim and whatever else you like to do. I’m happy sitting in my backyard with a cold drink and a book.
My last choice could have easily been number one. Summer and sandals go together like salt and pepper. Being able to always wear them, never having your feet confined to shoes and sox, getting pedicures…thanks to summer for the sandal! Whatever preference of sandal you have (and yes, as many other women, I have a large amount of sandals that are in my closet and I’m not going to feel guilty because I wear them all!)